Alumna Michelle Hagewood | Henry Art Gallery Seattle

Vermont College of Fine Arts alumna Michelle Hagewood is the assistant curator of school, youth, and family programs at Henry Art Gallery in Seattle, WA. Recently she was interviewed by the Seattle Times.

Here is an excerpt:

Assistant curator gets to combine three of her favorite things: working with youth, exploring art and designing activities around the museum experience.

How did you get started in that field? Not long after receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the Maryland Institute College of Art, I picked up a weekend job helping out with family programs at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore. There I was introduced to the field of museum education and was hooked. I had found a job that combined three of my favorite things: working with youth, exploring art and designing activities that allowed people to respond and make creations inspired by their museum experience. Since then, I’ve followed this line of work in various ways at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and now the Henry!

What’s a typical day like? My favorite thing about working in museum education is that every day is completely different. Depending on the day I might meet a new artist, catch up on the newest learning theory or create a fantastical landscape alongside 5-year-olds and their families. Lately, I’ve been spending a lot of time with an awesome group of young people, the members of the Henry Teen Art Collective, who meet with me every week to create new projects and programs for the Henry.

To read the entire interview click here.

To learn more about the Henry Art Gallery click here.

best Running shoes | Nike, adidas, Converse & More

0 replies